Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa

by Laurel on August 12, 2013

There’s nothing better than a fresh homemade salsa in the summertime. Lately I’ve been crushing on kiwis, those sweet and tangy little fruits that people often forget about. I made this spicy kiwi salsa three times over the past couple of weeks. Once I made it to serve on the side of fish tacos, another time to sprinkle on top of black beans and brown rice, and another time to just eat out of a bowl with a spoon. The gorgeous bright colors and mix of sweet and spicy flavors rock my world.

Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa
(makes about 3 cups)

Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa4 kiwis
1 orange
1 large jalapeño
1 small yellow bell pepper
1 small red bell pepper
1 big handful fresh cilantro
1/2 red onion

Trim the skin off the kiwis, and dice up the kiwi, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, and red onion. Place them in a big bowl. Finely chop the jalapeño and add it in. Peel the orange, dice it up, and add it in (remove any seeds you see while chopping). Remove the stems from the cilantro, give it a rough chop, and add it in. Gently stir and chill before eating.

Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa
Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa
Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa
Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa
Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa
Spicy Sweet Kiwi Salsa

Pin It

{ 12 comments }

Cecily August 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I have personally tried this salsa recipe and it was delicious! Perfect for summer. :)

Sherry August 13, 2013 at 7:13 am

This looks really great and refreshing. Will give it a try at this weekends cookout!!

Neil Butterfield August 14, 2013 at 4:46 am

Sounds yummy and interesting, a fruit based salsa. I am used to tomato only based salsa.

Jack Rollins August 19, 2013 at 5:20 pm

This salsa looks really tasty. I love trying different salsas but have yet to try one with kiwi. I do enjoy pineapple mango salsa, so I will give this one a try as well.

HCG Calgary August 27, 2013 at 5:09 am

I tried this and I loved it. This salsa is really very nice and good for health too. Thanks for sharing this here with us.

Zoe Crocker August 28, 2013 at 9:20 am

Ooh, the kiwi is making it intriguing for me. I don’t put kiwi on my salsa so I’m going to try this out tomorrow night.

Phil Poole August 29, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I love salsa and I’m always up for trying different types. I’ve had mango salsa in the past, but never tried kiwi before so I’ll definitely try this one since I also like kiwi as a fruit.

Elle August 31, 2013 at 12:01 am

This is one salsa combination that I have never come across before!

I love how bright the colours are. It looks like it’s perfect for summer! I can imagine this dish going well at a barbeque.

I’ve tried salsas with fruit in them before (mango), but never kiwi and oranges.

I think the tangy fruit will go well with the cilantro and jalepenos!

Skinny Fiber Reviews October 9, 2013 at 7:24 am

I love spicy food, so I might try this one this week. Found some really great healthy recipes on this site, thanks or that.

Stacey D. Walsh December 7, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I love easily portable food :-) I’ve seen recipes for mini meat-muffins/loaves all over the internet for years, but have never really found one I like. Then came competition diet, and I really needed something that was easy to make, eat, and didn’t knock me off track with carbs. Most recipes include bread crumbs or quinoa, rice or other starchy carb. I needed a solution without those extra carbs… I utilized my free foods to fill out the recipe and add flavor (mushrooms, onion, garlic), then added shredded zucchini and diced pepper for a veggie boost, plus the egg both to hold it all together as well as provide a healthy source of fat. The result was an incredibly tasty mini loaf! The hubby even loves these! Just add a side (quinoa, rice, etc) and a veggie and you’ve got a full meal for the family (or yourself!).

Karen January 5, 2014 at 11:50 am

Never really thought of putting Kiwi’s in a salsa, but I certainly will try this recipe because by the look of your photographs it looks delicious.

Jens February 26, 2014 at 4:55 am

Never tried spicy combined with fruits, wonder how it tastes like, I’ll try it some day.

Comments on this entry are closed.