Cacao Energy Smoothie

by Laurel on June 8, 2013

Gah, I love chocolate. It gives me such a boost of energy! Did you know that chocolate comes from a fruit tree called the cacao tree (officially Theobroma Cacao) that grows in tropical climates? One of my favorite raw chocolate sellers, Fine & Raw, recently posted  beautiful pictures of cacao fruit growing in Peru: cacao tree, cacao pods, and broken open cacao pod. I’m dying to see one of these trees in person and break open the fruit in my hands. Someday I will make this happen!

Until I can make my dream come true, I’ll keep whipping up lots of cacao smoothies. The recipe below is a great choice for a day when you’re running low on energy. Imagine enjoying a milkshake that leaves you energized instead of sluggish!  Treat yourself on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon when you’re trying to power through all your chores and errands.

Cacao Energy Smoothie
(makes 1 smoothie)

Cacao Energy Smoothie

1 heaping tbsp. cacao powder
1 heaping tbsp. cashew butter
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1 frozen banana
4 ice cubes
3/4 cup filtered water

Tip 1: If you want to make this smoothie a meal replacement, substitute the water for unsweetened almond or cashew milk to make it extra filling.

Tip 2: Wondering where to buy cacao powder? Most health food stores carry it these days, but you can also order it online. I recommend One Lucky Duck. It’s affordable, raw/vegan/organic, and great quality.

Tip 3: For variety, try adding 1 drop of peppermint essential oil for a mint chocolate shake!

Cacao Energy Smoothie
Cacao Energy Smoothie
Laurel drinking a Cacao Energy Smoothie in NYC
Laurel drinking a Cacao Energy Smoothie in NYC

Pin It

{ 10 comments }

Linda June 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I am a chocolate lover and this smoothie looks wonderful.

Ritu June 13, 2013 at 6:01 am

This looks DELICIOUS! I must try it! And I have a mason jar cup just like that. hehe

Laurel June 13, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thanks Linda and Ritu! Happy you like it, and let me know if you try! It’s such a yummy treat.

Kathy June 14, 2013 at 9:42 am

That looks so good! & thick!….have never heard of cashew butter but think I need to go on the hunt for it.
It looks like the perfect way to start the day!

Laurel June 14, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hi Kathy,
Thank you! If you have any trouble finding cashew butter, you can just use a small handful of cashews instead. I recommend soaking them in water for at least a few hours first to soften them up.

Best, Laurel

J Lee June 20, 2013 at 1:51 pm

The smoothie looks refreshing and delicious! I just bought a new blender and have been itching for some new recipes. Any idea how many calories are in this?

Laurel June 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Hi J Lee,
Thanks for your nice comment! Unfortunately, I don’t provide nutrition information and do much calorie counting, but I would think since the ingredients are simple you might be able to use another website to figure it out by typing in the amounts I specified. Good luck!

Best, Laurel

Lynn July 16, 2013 at 8:43 pm

A chocolate smoothie! Believe it or not, I have not considered chocolate – always fruit. I am definately going to give this a try. Thanks.

carbon monoxide exposure July 21, 2013 at 3:47 am

I have read your full article and its was awesome and helpful for me. thanks for posting such a good article. I will come back to your blog again to read more post.

marion August 6, 2013 at 3:04 pm

UEH, sorry, don’t like chocolate in shoothies, But i do like the other ones with fruit a lot. All of them

Comments on this entry are closed.