Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Cashew Sauce

by Laurel on March 21, 2013

Geez, can you believe it’s almost April?! I don’t know about you, but 2013 has been flying by. As usual, I’m rocking with a very busy schedule between my writing job, working out, teaching a few dance classes, editing a book for a friend, cooking, blogging, and more. To keep up with it all, I’ve been surviving on big homemade meals that I make on Sunday nights that can feed my boyfriend and I for a full week. Sure, it’s not as exciting to eat the same thing many nights in a row, but it works for us right now, and it’s saving us money too.

My latest dish is whole wheat pasta with flavor-packed roasted vegetables, covered with a creamy cashew sauce. I like this dish either warm or cold, and you can eat it plain or with your favorite protein on top. Once it’s made, you’ll have a healthy but hearty meal ready any time you need it.

Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Cashew Sauce
(makes about 8-10 servings)

Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Cashew Sauce
Pasta and vegetables:
2 red bell peppers
1 orange bell pepper
2 yellow summer squashes
1 red onion
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. whole wheat pasta (such as penne or rigatoni)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (plus more garnish, optional)
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup chopped pecans
Salt & pepper (to taste)

Cashew sauce:
1/2 cup cashew butter
1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Cut up the red and orange bell peppers, squashes, and red onion into bite-sized pieces and spread out on a sheet pan. Chop up the garlic into smaller pieces and add them to the pan. Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Toss together and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.

Boil the pasta according to the directions on the package, then rinse with cold water and drain. Spread the pasta out in a large casserole dish.

In a food processor or blender, combine the cashew butter, salt, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, coconut milk, water, and black pepper. Squeeze the juice out of the lemon half and add it in. Blend on high until smooth. Pour the sauce over the pasta.

When the vegetables are finished roasting, allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes. Then, add them to the pasta and sauce, and stir well. Stir in the spinach, basil leaves, pecans, and red pepper flakes. Do a taste test, then season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.

Serve plain or with your favorite protein on top. If you like, sprinkle a little extra red pepper flakes on top for spice.

Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Cashew Sauce
Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Cashew Sauce
Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Cashew Sauce

Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Cashew Sauce

Shown here with Gardein Chick'n Scallopini on top.

Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Cashew Sauce

Shown here with Gardein Chick'n Scallopini on top.

Pin It

{ 11 comments }

amdadmin March 26, 2013 at 1:15 am

I love to eat foods that are full of fresh ingredients. I appreciate someone who uses the fresh basil and spinach leaves rather than the processed ones in packages. This way I do not have to do a substitution. I especially like the coconut milk. I gave me an excuse to buy a fresh one and use the meat of the coconut in my vanilla ice cream.

Yolan March 27, 2013 at 1:30 am

I’m trying to stay away from wheat based products at the moment, but that looks so tempting. I might have to try in out on my “cheat day”. The rest looks very healthy, and like Amdadmin above, I like the coconut milk.

Jen March 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm

This looks delicious, haven’t heard of cashew butter before, I hope I can find it here in the UK as would love to try this recipe.

V. Sandberg March 30, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I am dying to try this, although I think I will cut it in half, about 8-10 servings is a little much. But I have the same problem as Jen, cashew butter, it is not carried at Smiths. Will check some of the specialty markets tomorrow.

Laurel April 2, 2013 at 9:16 am

Yep, cutting it in half is great if you don’t want a huge portion. I’ve been focusing on making bigger meals so I have to cook less often and to give my hungry boyfriend plenty to eat throughout the week, but definitely do what works best for you!

I know it might be hard to find cashew butter, so if you don’t have access to a local health food store, it’s very easy to make some on your own. Here’s an Emeril recipe showing you how: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-cashew-butter-recipe/index.html

You can also make raw cashew butter by soaking raw cashews in water for a few hours, rinsing them off, then processing them with the same ingredients of oil and salt. Blend until smooth. It’s very easy. :)

Roln April 7, 2013 at 4:04 am

Wow, this is such a great meal! Fresh ingredients, nutritious, and a cashew sauce for the pasta. Just WOW. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I’m going to try this one. I’ve always wanted to try something new when I usually cook pasta and I guess this is the answer that I’m looking for.

Sammy April 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I don’t know exactly how I feel about cashew sauce. I want to try it but… Eh screw it, I’ll try it. Thanks for the recipe :)

Amy Renold April 17, 2013 at 4:11 am

Wow, I love cashew sauce. The recipe is perfect and the pictures are mouth-watering. I’ll have it without any protein addon. Thanks for the post :)

Laurel April 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments! Happy you like it.

Neil Butterfield May 7, 2013 at 8:23 am

This does sound and look yummy. Fresh ingredients are certainly the way to go. I’ll be sure to get my wife to make this dish for us.

Hil May 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Hmmm, yum! I also have not heard of cashew butter. It sure sounds nice though.

Comments on this entry are closed.