7 Days of Healthy Eating Out

by Laurel on October 11, 2010

Last week I held a blogging marathon titled “7 Days of Healthy Eating Out.” While I’m usually someone that eats most of my meals at home, it was fun to venture out to new restaurants and give myself a cooking break for the week. I checked out a few of the special organic and vegan restaurants I’d been dying to try in NYC, but also hit up some casual lunch spots like Chipotle. I even ordered some Chinese take-out to show you how to eat out healthy on the cheap. I had lots of vegetarian meals, but also a few with meat or seafood, so there was a little something for everyone. Here’s a roundup of all 7 posts:

• Day 1 (butternut squash soup, tabouli quinoa salad, frozen yogurt)
  • Day 2 (Chinese takeout)
  • Day 3 (veggie omelet, edamame, dark chocolates)
  • Day 4 (Chipotle salad, unsweet tea, clementines)
  • Day 5 (Blue Sunset shake, black bean hummus tartine)
  • Day 6 (vegetable stew, cornbread, veggies, crumb cake, brittle)
  • Day 7 (Norwegian salad with salmon & eggs, prosecco)

Here’s a slideshow of all the pictures I took last week. Or, visit my Flickr Photostream here.

I hope you enjoyed the marathon, and please leave me a comment if you have some suggestions for the next time around. I’m thinking of doing a “7 Days of Desserts” marathon next month. You likey?

Pin It

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Organic Janet October 23, 2010 at 11:42 am

Hi Laurel- Nice blog! I wish we had such plentiful organic dining out options here in the Atlanta area. Alas, there are few… especially in the outer burbs, leaving me mostly chained to my own kitchen! Maybe the South will catch up to NY and CA one day…
Be well,
Organic Janet

Laurel October 24, 2010 at 9:24 am

Hi Janet,
Thank you! Yes, I am very lucky to have all the healthy opportunities in NYC. It’s been a lot of fun since moving here.

Staying in your own kitchen is the way to go! I actually primarily cook at home but it was fun to take a week to go see all the amazing restaurants and takeout spots.

Best of luck to ya!
Laurel

Lauren January 7, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hi Laurel-
What a great idea for your readers. I definitely liked the Chinese take-out and Chipotle options as those are everywhere. I’m mostly a home cook myself (since you can control what goes into your food), but my husband and I are such foodies that we love to eat out too. Hope to see another eating out “marathon” soon!
Lauren

Laurel January 10, 2011 at 9:40 am

Thanks Lauren! I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed it. I’m hoping to do another marathon sometime later this month or early February.

Tom August 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm

As long as the marathon will give the healthy result for me, I’ll enjoy it. But I have watched the slide show above. And that’s good and I think that I would enjoy the marathon of 7 days of healthy eating out.

canada goose discount October 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Thank you for sharing your stuff on blog. It is doubtless that we have similar interests. Something are very helpful to me.