Hooked on Diet Soda?

by Laurel on March 23, 2010

There was a time when I drank diet sodas all the time. My friends and I were happy we had something to drink besides water that wouldn’t make us gain weight (supposedly). Plus it had a little caffeine boost (something all of us needed to get through the college years). But when I was getting my health counseling certification last year, I decided to cut it out (along with as many unnatural foods as possible). Diet soda is full of chemicals and artificial sweeteners. I had no way of knowing what negative affects it was having on my brain, my blood, or anywhere in my body. Once I cut it out, an amazing result happened. If I tried to go back and drink a diet soda, I would get an enormous headache (a little signal from my body that it was happy I wasn’t drinking it anymore and that I really shouldn’t start up again). Our bodies are genius that way.

There are tons of scary studies you can read about the negative effects of diet soda and other studies that explain how a little won’t hurt. All I know is I feel better when I don’t drink it. One recent study included 3,200 women who drank two or more servings of diet soda every day. Harvard Medical school researchers found that those who drank 2+ sodas had a 30% decrease in function of their kidneys. Pretty scary. Those who drank one or less did not have any reduction in kidney function.

Just like with any habit, it’s hard to stop at first, but it gets easier every day, and then suddenly you can’t even figure out why you were hooked. These days I drink more water and I also love teas. There is an infinite variety of teas and you can make them hot, cold, lightly sweetened or unsweetened. There are teas with a little caffeine and teas that are relaxing. For me, tea is a great beverage to drink in addition to water. You can also buy 100% fruit juices and dilute it with water to cut calories and sugar. Remember to keep it natural. Many bottled teas and juices are filled with too much sugar. Buying your own tea is definitely cheaper. If you like a little sweetness, try adding a small spoonful of honey or agave nectar.

I love to put honey in my tea. A little daily honey really helped me reduce allergy symptoms. But that topic’s for another day!

Are you hooked on diet soda? Or, have you recently kicked a diet soda habit? Write about it in the comments. Believe me, I’ve been there.

Update: This post was featured on the following blog carnivals:
Fitbuff’s Health, Dating, and Fitness Carnival 147
Athletic Alley’s Sexy Organic Blog Carnival 3
Baby Boomers Blog Carnival 33
Carnival of Healing 224

PhotobucketFollow LaurelMoll on Twitter

{ 11 comments }

Melanie March 23, 2010 at 3:12 pm

This is one of the issues you helped me get through in counseling :-) I used to drink diet sodas to curb my sugar cravings, but it didn’t really work. I switched to carbonated fruit juice or lightly sweetened, natural sodas. Health-food stores (like Whole Foods) have a great selection of healthier “sodas,” and I’ve found a few varieties that are 100 calories or less. I’m also a big fan of tea with a little honey.

I try to limit my non-water beverages to no more than 2/day because I don’t want the calories to rack up. I didn’t miss the diet sodas at all when I made the switch (but caffeine has no affect on me).

Laurel March 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Thank you for posting your positive results Melanie! You go girl. :)

Gretchen March 23, 2010 at 8:50 pm

My horrible, horrible habit was regular soda! I drank so many in a day that it is now sad to admit it! No wonder I had gained so much weight over the years. I finally had my “ah-ha” moment over the summer and started my healthy eating and it’s just grown from there. I totally quit drinking regular soda, and now only have a few (if that at all) diet sodas a week. I started out breaking my habit with flavored (no calorie) carbonated waters, because I think alot of my “addiction” was the carbonation. Overall I drink lots of water, coffee in the mornings, and tea sometime during the day. I can definitely tell that I “feel” better from cutting the habit!

laurel March 23, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for your comment Gretchen, and congrats on kicking the habit! I love hearing success stories. I hear ya on the carbonation. Sometimes I like to drink sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

Hank March 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

The Every Other Day Diet, or EODD as it is known more commonly, is a unique and exciting new diet that pledges large pays when it comes to mislaying fat.

Steve April 5, 2010 at 9:29 am

The Every Other Day Diet has been called the easiest diet on earth!

Tara April 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I can’t help but get a craving for carbonated drinks every once in a while… When that happens I try to have the zero calorie drinks out there, and then get lots of gas super fast! XD
Sometimes a sip is all it takes to get rid of the craving.

Brent April 8, 2010 at 8:56 am

The Every Other Day Diet, created by Jon Benson, is a new diet plan that claims that anyone can lose weight with this system.

Cheryl from thatgirlisfunny April 15, 2010 at 11:55 am

This is one habit I’m very glad I kicked. I don’t think I noticed any difference in the absence of caffeine from diet soda because I still drink tea and coffee. What I did discover is an incredible thirst! Of course, tea and coffee are diuretic in nature which doesn’t help. To offset their effect, I drink 96 oz of water a day. I train for two hours at a time so my need for water is high. Thanks for reminding everyone of the dangers of diet soda.

I found a great infographic about the impact of soda on our health. You can find it posted on my “Stay Young from the Inside Out” blog carnival on my blog ThatGirlisFunny. It’s called “Delicious or Deadly – Give Up Soft Drinks”

Please feel free to submit your health articles to my carnival! Your posts fit in perfectly :D

Bob May 5, 2010 at 10:00 am

Every Other Day Diet is a reliable weight loss system you can count on! It is inexpensive, effective, and even has its own diet generator and more. This is one of the most comprehensive!

red October 25, 2011 at 7:43 am

I have soft drinks every day in summer, it is not very good habit

Comments on this entry are closed.